Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Abba! Father!

So, I received some news a little over a week ago, which, at the time, was VERY disturbing. My mother announced that she would be getting married and moving to Arizona. Coupled with the manner in which she told me and the knowledge AND lack of knowledge of the details surrounding this, I was like a deer in headlights. I wanted to run away from her and cry, a reaction I would expect out of a young child.

For the next week I would begin processing this news. At first, it was disbelief, anger, hurt and feeling like I didn't even know how to turn to God for help. What would I pray for? I didn't know.

Well I began to pray for comfort and peace, at first. I didn't know how I could make sense of it all. So I just wanted peace with it. Of course, immediately, God began to do just that. Through His deep and constant love for me he took hold of me by my right hand and started the process of, not only, peace BUT understanding.

He took me to an OT story of Nabal, Abigail and David in 1 Samuel 25. There's much more to the story (read it), but, David took Abigail to be his wife when her husband died. He would be her protector and provider for the rest of her life. First and foremost, this is most important to me for my mom~ protection, a provider, she won't be alone anymore. I had such peace after reading this knowing that God was giving me the answers I needed. And so quickly! Thank you Father!!

God is wise! His wisdom is "first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere" (James 3:17).

God is sovereign! He does "work out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will" (Ephesians 1:11).

This past week, God has "guided me with his counsel" (Psalm 73:24). I am gaining such understanding of this marriage to be, my mom's heart, Darwin's (her fiance) heart, there desires and considerations for everyone (the kids) involved. I now have confidence that God is at work here. His plans are perfect and He is accomplishing His will. I may not understand all the details (the speed at which it is happening). But, God is showing me that it doesn't matter. I don't need to understand everything. I just need to trust Him who knows EVERYTHING.

While I'm happy for my mom and the desires of her heart, I'm actually starting to feel excited for her. The anger, hurt and disbelief have been turned into joy. That can only be from God! He IS the strength of my heart and my portion forever (Psalm 73: 26).

It's strange for me to think that I will soon have another dad. But, all I really need is my Heavenly Father. I have "received a spirit of adoption as sons by which I DO cry out ABBA! FATHER!" Romans 8:15. I am his kid. How sweet is that?!!!!!

1 comment:

Abby said...

Heidi - what a sweet process God is taking you through. I have been praying for Him to dislodge the logjam of emotions you were descibing to us last week and HE IS FAITHFUL! much love