Wednesday, March 5, 2008

What's So Funny About Peace, Love, and Understaning?

I was just reflecting over the discussion questions from last month's theology class. At our table we didn't quite get to all the questions, so this was the first time... in a long time... I have had a moment to sit and meditate over them. The last question stuck out to me....

"In light of the fact that we our God’s kids, how then should we relate to one another? We are in fact one family- is it difficult for you to view other Christians as your brothers and sister? Do you treat the church body as intimately as you do your immediate family?"

As I think of this question... and the questions we have been going over in home group, about how we are maturing in Christ and Serving the Lord, it is easy to go straight to YES!!! But as yes is so rarely the answer... I took it a little deeper. Am I patient with people? Am I quick to judge? Do I show grace? Do I even do this for my immediate family. I like to think I have grace, but as I have slid deeper and deeper into serving, I have found myself frustrated with how slowly it all gets done. Patience is the key theme to my life. God is pounding this lesson into me from all directions right now. In service, at work, in health, at home, in love, and with people. And just as I think that I have learned the lesson of patience.. God provides another situation for me to learn even more.

So this question... No Christians are all my brothers and sisters... some seemed a little more estranged than others. Having grace for people and fighting bitterness are so important. Not only for me but those around me. My complaints about other people, no matter how truthful do not portray God in the light He deserves. Shame on me.
I leave you with portion of Acts 8:21-24

21"You have no part or portion in this matter, for your heart is not right before God.
22"Therefore repent of this wickedness of yours, and pray the Lord that, if possible, the intention of your heart may be forgiven you.
23"For I see that you are in the gall of bitterness and in the bondage of iniquity."
24But Simon answered and said, "Pray to the Lord for me yourselves, so that nothing of what you have said may come upon me."

3 comments:

Chrissy P. said...

Loved this ya'all. Just the right scriptures at the right time, GOD is good. Thanks to Crystal, Bridget and Heidi or anyone else behind the scenes, this is really a wonderful study/class. Thanks for being vulnerable and the real deal. Mucho Gracias. New Fav. acts 17:24-28, Chrissy P.

bridget said...

This was a beautiful post. I know you were sharing your convictions, but i felt convicted as well. How well am I really loving people who I am going to be hanging out with for eternity?

john and tanna said...

I reiterate exactly what the gals above stated...Thank you Crystal. I have been seeing God "pound" his points home in my life as well. "Haven't we done this one God?" I find myself asking.... Oh, yet again.