Thursday, March 20, 2008

with solemn heart

For on this day shall atonement be made for you to cleanse you. You shall be clean before the LORD from all your sins. It is a Sabbath of solemn rest to you, and you shall afflict yourselves- Leviticus 16:30-31

How often do we take time to consider our sins? Are we blasé about our sin?
Are we glib when we speak of the cross?

The Day of Atonement was the most serious day of the Jewish year, the people were to cease from working and fast. The point was to meditate on their sins. God desired humble hearts for his people, so that when the priest made atonement for their sins their repentance would be born out of humility.

On Good Friday we gather in a similar way, with solemn hearts, to think about the price paid for our sin...but are we really meditating on our own sins?

Honestly- I could do a whole lot better. Growing up as a Christian, I tended to look forward to Easter and see Good Friday as the hoop you jump through to get to the candy. Now I have learned to think on the excruciating death God died for sinners (me).

Where I fall short is this idea of meditating on my own sin. When I think of my sins, it like an old credit card that is paid off, the debts paid in full, its all good. But that's not the right attitude. /the ideal would be to walk in, thinking of my own sin, and listening to the truth that my God, Jesus, died for all my pettiness. He died the most painful, awful death.

So instead of thinking about Easter, or thinking about a terrible death, I am going to think about my sin, my inability to save myself, right my wrongs. That without Jesus I cannot stand before God. What a terrible weight to bare, yet Jesus bore it all.

No comments: